Is someone showing you an obsessive or unwanted attention? If so, beware, that person might be stalking you. Stalking pertains to the unreasonable and fanatical attention that a certain person possesses toward another person. Stalking behaviours are usually associated to intimidation as well as harassment.
According to National Center for Victims of Crime 2012 report, stalking is viewed as unwanted contact between two persons . In connection to this, the perpetrator pose threats either in direct or indirect way to the victim. Due to the wide varying aspects and nature, it is not a surprise that it comes in diverse definitions which have been well documented.
Way back in the sixteenth century, stalking has been included in the Oxford English Dictionary with the definition attributed to a poacher or prowler. With the advent of the twentieth century, the term stalker was recognized by the media as description to those who harass others. It has also been connected to the issue of harassment among celebrities.
The use of the term is believed to have been devised in the United States courtesy of the tabloid press. With this, Pathe and Mullen view the word as constellation of behaviours where in a person impose unwanted communication to another person. It can be applied to refer to repeated following, harassing or watching of another person. In contrary to other forms of crimes, it is a series of behaviours and actions that take place in period of time.
In spite of the fact that stalking is not illegal in many parts of the world, there are some actions that are considered legal. This may include calling the person on the phone, gathering of personal information, sending unwanted gifts and the like. They tend to be illegal when they break the legal definition of rampant issue, harassment. What does it mean? Say for instance, sending of message is legal but when they are repeated to unwilling receivers, they become illegal. Actually, UK law states that such actions must only happen two times in order to determine that the person does not accept such deeds.
Psychology and behaviour
People who are viewed as stalkers can be suspected of displaying a mistaken perception that there is another person who endears them. This particular scenario is called erotomania in psychology. Needless to say, these people are in need of rescuing.
There are several ways for stalkers to scare their victims. Thy can make use of threats as well as violence. Also, they may be involved in property damage or physical attacks for the purpose of frightening their victims. There are also some cases where in stalking happens in the form of a sexual harassment.
Psychological effects on the victim
Essentially, the importance of distractions in the daily life of a person to keep away from potential stalker should never be overlooked. Some of these disruptions include changes in the residency of the person, phone numbers and employment. According to a psychologist, stalking is one form of doing mental assault to the victim.
Types of stalkers
There are two categories of stalkers according to psychologists namely the psychotic and nonpsychotic stalker. With this, psychotic stalkers may suffer from delusional disorders or schizophrenia. On the other hand, non-psychotic disorders are likely to have adjustment disorders, major depressions, and dependence to substance and other contributory factor to committing stalking. Non-psychotic perpetrators can be triggered by different psychological factors such as obsession, denial, jealousy and blame.
According to a reputable journal, there are five identified types of stalkers.
- Rejected stalkers refer to those who stalk their victim for the purpose of revenge after rejection has been received from the victim in the past. There are several cases where in this type of stalkers may enter into the scene. It includes termination in a job, divorce and separation.
- Intimacy seekers are those who are after the establishment of intimate relationship with their victims. These stalkers usually live in adherence with the belief that the person is their soul mate and that are really meant for each other.
- Incompetent suitors are those who believe that they are entitled to be on a relationship with their victims in spite of their poor courting and social skills. At most cases, the victims are already dating or in a relationship with other persons.
- Predatory stalkers refer to those who spy on their victims so that they will be able to devise a plan and attack them. These are often in the form of sexual offenses on the victim.
- Resentful stalkers pursue their victims due to grievance against that person. Usually these types of stalkers are driven by their craving to distress and frighten the victim.
Although stalking is not governed by stringent laws, it should never be taken for granted .As there are lots of ways that this dilemma happens, it is very important that the person needs to be aware of all the various nature of stalking. In this way, he or she will be able to keep off from potential stalkers. By knowing the nature as well as ways on how to deal with unwanted attention, you can surely spare yourself from irreversible regression.